Monday, March 1, 2010

On the Way to the Hair Salon...

...I must have lost a few brain cells.


Remember the hairstyle I wanted? 


(Mrs. Coconut)


Remember my hair trial?  Here was the finished product.


I really liked it, but could have done without so many curls, which was due my long, long, long hair:

Keep in mind my hair is curled in the above picture, so it was a few inches longer when straight.  At the time, my hair/makeup artist, Aimee Lam, gently asked whether I *always* kept my hair that long--as if to say please, hon, chill on the Rapunzel.

I figured suuure, I have *tons* of hair to spare.  So a couple of weeks ago I went in for a haircut. And I'm not sure where my usual fear-of-change and risk-averse personality went, but I asked the stylist to lop off a good chunk.  No fear!

Not pleased with myself.

While not shockingly short, I'm concerned that it's too short to achieve the curled low updo that I want.

So on my way back from the salon, after having lost said previous brain cells, I then started to lose perspective.  At that point, it wasn't even a matter of whether my hair could physically be formed into the above hairstyle (because looking at it now, it's not *that* short).  I was absolutely convinced that I had ruined my chances of achieving my beloved hairstyle and kicked myself for having gotten such a short haircut so close to the wedding.

Eventually, Kevin injected a little sense back into me by saying: "Honey you're going to look beautiful no matter what, this isn't something you have to worry about." (two brownie points, maybe even three, for that man!)

Whether I can or cannot get the hairstyle, psychologically this is a lesson for me to "let go". I wanted a particular hairstyle. I may not get it.  But Kevin is right.  I've hired a hair/makeup artist who is uber talented and whom I love, who will do an amazing job in making me up all pretty with or without this hairstyle. Right? I mean, who freakin' fixates on a HAIR STYLE??

Let go, let flow. (Of course, I say this after I asked our local vitamin peddler whether prenatal vitamins would help my hair grow faster in a month. He looked at me funny.)

Anyone else make a few "oops" before the wedding?  Anyone need a little jolt back into reality that it's okay if you don't get what you originally envisioned?

2 comments:

  1. it's definitely shorter but it's still long. you had me thinking you went and got a bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cut!! Maybe your hair girl can say what my first trial girl did which was that i needed extensions because my hair was SO thin. i was like, I'm cool, I'm not trying to go all britney at my weddding, but ok.

    ReplyDelete