Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Broiled Cod with Tomato Caper Sauce

We're going to incorporate more fish into our diet.  I've heard something about fish and omega 3's and DHA's and brains and neurological function and who knows what else, but instead of questioning things, I follow like a lemming.

I actually made the decision to incorporate more fish into our diet about a month ago.  Since that time, I've made a whopping total of 1 fish recipe.  Okay, two, if you count when I made tuna pasta last week.

I pulled this recipe from  SkinnyTaste, a website that I heard of through This Casita.  What I love about this recipe is that you broil the fish, instead of sauteing on the stovetop.  In my quest for more fish recipes, I'm looking for just broiled or baked fish--we don't have a window or a great ventilation system in our kitchen and I have learned from experience that the smell from frying or sauteing a fish will not only linger but become quite funky for days. DAYS, I tell you. My brain health is most definitely not worth days of fish stink.  Anybody could tell you that.

Since it's just the two of us, I knew we wouldn't make it through a full recipe (which calls for 4 fillets) in one night.  And since I'm not a fan of reheated fish (they're so delicate, I think properly cooking them the first time and then reheating them will probably render them super rubbery), I made the sauce for the fish, kept it in a separate container, and each night I would broil only 2 fish fillets.  While the fish was broiling, I would reheat the sauce in the microwave, and spoon over the fish when ready.

Any firm white fish will do for this recipe.  I used cod because they had that at the farmers market.

Adapted from SkinnyTaste

Ingredients

2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
4 medium fish fillets (about 6 oz each) or 6 small fish fillets (about 4 oz each) (a 4 oz portion suited us--we used cod, but tilapia or whatever other firm white fish exist would work as well)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 shallots, minced
2 large tomatoes chopped (since tomatoes are not yet in season, I used one 15-oz can of diced tomatoes, drained--this makes the recipe more on the tomato side, but I love tomatoes)
1 TBS capers
1/4 cup dry white wine
salt and pepper to taste

Serves 4 to 6 (depending on how much fish you apportion to each person)

In a medium saute pan, heat 1 TBS oil oil over medium low heat.  Add garlic and shallots and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until translucent.  You're not trying to brown them.

Hm, must have taken this picture when things were still looking a wee bit opaque.  Cook a little more than this.

Add wine and cook until wine reduces, about 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 10 minutes.   

 

Add capers and continue to cook until the sauce gets a little thick.

 



Meanwhile, heat up your broiler (also, I covered my broiler pan in aluminum foil for easier clean-up).  Dry your fish fillets well with a paper towel.  Drizzle remaining 1 TBS oil over both sides of each fillet (or, if you're cooking them on separate days like I did, drizzle about 1/2 tsp oil on each), and season both sides with salt and pepper.


Broil for about 7 minutes or until just done in the center (this will vary depending on the thickness of the fish).  Spoon tomato sauce over the fish and serve.


I served this with sauteed swiss chard and couscous.  I feel so virtuous just writing this post.  I suppose that feeling would be justified if I actually follow through on my plan to eat more fish.  Do you have any favorite fish recipes?

8 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of fish (really any seafood) and this looks like a great recipe to try out! I don't have any favorite recipes, but I love trying new things with fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so fresh and delicious! you ARE virtuous! look at all those vitamins and omegas on that plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. Though I probably would have eaten all the fillets in one sitting. >.>

    I usually eat fish in raw form, beer battered form, or soy sauce steamed form. Im afraid to cook them in the oven for fear of dryness! But yours doesn't look dry at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. We eat fish at least once a week and sometimes twice. But you're right, the pan leaves things pretty stinky. Also, to get more DHA you could take vitamins. I take a DHA vitamin everyday. I started when I was pregnant. I use the algae based one so I don't have to worry about the mercury levels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delish! I need to find ways to incorporate more fish into our diet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always looking for new recipes for fish, this sounds so good. And I agree, I'm all for broiling/baking over sauteing. It takes too much time and mess. Blech.

      Delete
  6. OMG! I used to shop at that Soviet Safeway! I totally forgot about it. I worked near there and would go at lunch. It was the most depressing Safeway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely! This would be great for the summer.

    ReplyDelete